I have seen a few episodes on TLC of a show about The Duggar family. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar have 18 children, a daughter-in-love (as they describe her), and a granddaughter. As a new mother with a two year old daughter and 10 month old son I was intrigued by a woman that seemed to have such a "gentle and quiet spirit" in the midst of being a wife and raising so many children. And that is exactly what she is doing, raising them and "training them in the way they should go." She sees motherhood as more than just getting pregnant and giving birth and even caring for them for the first 6 weeks. To her, motherhood involves so much more and I thank God for using her as a godly example. I recently read their book, The Duggars: 20 and Counting!, and would highly recommend it. In it they express a strong desire to honor God with their lives and their family, and they share their family rules which I thought some might find helpful:
The Duggar House Guidelines:
- Always use soft words, even when you don’t feel well.
- Always display kind actions, even if you have been mistreated.
- Show joyful attitudes, even when no one is looking.
- Have sincere motives with no thought of self-gain.
- Think pure thoughts.
- Always give a good report of others. Never tale-bear unless physical harm will come to someone. Use Matthew 18.
- Never raise a hand to hit.
- Never raise a foot to kick.
- Never raise an object to throw.
- Never raise a voice to yell.
- Never raise an eye to scowl.
- Use one toy/activity at a time.
- Never let the sun go down on your wrath. (Don’t go to bed angry or guilty)
- Amendment J.O.Y. Make serving your family a priority. Put Jesus first, Others second, and Yourself last.